Interrail reservations in France
France is a lovely country to explore by Interrail! France has many international connections to neighbouring countries, during the day but also over-night in some specific cases. All regional trains, and most of the InterCities, within France are free of charge. You can already notice that France is not the most Interrail-friendly country, and that is definitely not an understatement. Because France is a big country, most of their trains operate as high-quality InterCities and HighSpeed trains. Therefore nearly all trains, except regional trains, require an additional seat reservation. Below you can find all details of trains in France. Interrail reservations in France that can be made online are indicated in blue, otherwise simply make a reservation at any manned train station.
|Train Type||Specific Train Name||Operator||Reservation||2nd class||1st class||Destinations|
|Regional||–||SNCF||–||–||–||Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Switzerland|
|InterCity||EuroCity||Thello||Required||€20.00-€56.00||€24.00-€91.00||France, Italy, Monaco|
|HighSpeed||AVE/TGV Elipsos||Renfe-SNCF||Required||€15.00-€34.00||€20.00-€48.00||France, Spain|
|HighSpeed||TGV Lyria||SNCF||Required||€16.00||€26.00||France, Switzerland|
|HighSpeed||TGV, inOUI||SNCF||Required||€06.00-€20.00||€06.00-€30.00||Belgium, France, Luxembourg|
|HighSpeed||Thalys||SNCF||Required||€15.00-€25.00||€20.00-€30.00||Belgium, France, the Netherlands|
|HighSpeed||Eurostar||Eurostar||Required||€30.00||€38.00||France, United Kingdom|
|NightTrain||Intercités de Nuit||SNCF||Required||€10.00-€21.50||€21.50||France, Spain|
|NightTrain||EuroNight||Thello||Required||€71.00-€143.00||€215.00||France, Italy, Monaco|
|NightTrain||Sud Expresso||Trenhotel||Required||€07.00-€57.50||€86.50-€115.00||France, Spain, Portugal|
* Reservations for InterCities in France are mostly optional, however on routes where no high-speed rail alternatives are present a reservation is required.
* Did you know that your Interrail pass is also valid on the DBahn IC Bus? Various routes can be covered with these buses, most of which are not well connected by train. You will need to buy a supplement of €04.50 at the train station or online.
* Did you know that your Interrail pass is also valid on all SNCF train replacement buses?
* Your interrail pass is valid on the EuroNight Thello Trains. The early-booking fare might be cheaper than the standard Interrail fare however.
* There is a budget-friendly alternative for traveling into Belgium with IZY, more specifically Brussels. A 2nd class ticket costs only between €10.00 and €19.00 and a 1st class ticket costs only €29.00. As a result, Interrail is not accepted on this train!
* Your Interrail pass is not valid on Ouigo HighSpeed Trains, because they are the low-budget competitors with the luxurious HighSpeed trains.
* Did you know that your Interrail pass is also valid on the Irish Ferries and Stena Line Ferries between France, Ireland and the United Kingdom? You will need to buy a supplement at the ferry port or online.
* Want to know more about the various Night-Trains? Then have a look at the night trains section.
* Want to know more about the various Ferries? Then have a look at the ferries section.